Title: NDT Level III
Location: Chicago, IL
SUMMARY OF POSITION
The NDT Level III will be the key contact person for all non-destructive evaluations and certifications for Client relating to production activities and customer requirements / requests. This individual will review all NDT related specifications for internal, customer, and industry standard specifications. Keep updated on all changes or modifications to such specifications. This individual also will lead efforts related to non-destructive evaluation anomalies to define, identify, and analyze root cause and institute corrective action and system mistake proofing methodologies.
This position is in Quality Department, and reports to the Quality Manager. This position works with the quality department, manufacturing, heat treat, chemical processing and NDT area staff. The position works with all levels of employees throughout the organization as necessary. This is a full-time position.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The essential duties and responsibilities of this position are listed below. This list is not all inclusive and may be amended by Client, from time to time.
- Direct and participate in the training and development of employees in the facility’s procedures and methods for operating all non-destructive testing equipment
- Direct and participate in the preparation of samples or specimens for non-destructive testing of materials and components during the various stages of manufacturing and assembly
- Monitor and audit all NDT related processes
- Review rejected material or components for defect severity and disposition. Assist in repair and documentation procedures
- Review all NDT related specifications for internal, customer, and industry standard specifications. Keep updated on all changes or modifications to such specifications.
- Analyze specifications in all NDT related and special process requirements to manufacture planning applications
- Assist with the review of acid samples to perform and analyze on NDT chemicals and adjust as necessary
- Assist with the performing of laboratory tests when needed, in addition to reviewing and approving all related results and reports
- Analyze test results and concise technical routine and non-routine reports. Make accept/reject decisions based on results and customer requirements.
- Analyze and interpret NDT requirements related to steel, aluminum, magnesium, titanium, and other alloys.
- Conduct investigations on product issues and suggest solutions based upon the results of findings. Work with supervisor and management and initiate corrective actions to prevent reoccurrence.
- Prepare and perform tests to include Nital Etch, Mag Particle, and Flourescent Penetrant other related NDT testing, analysis and reporting.
- Maintain accreditation to NADCAP approval status with methods, procedures, training, and auditing.
- Provide technical support to other departments on issues concerning materials and processes, including advice on potential hazards and impact of chemical and processes to health and safety of all employees.
This position will direct the work of NDT employees.
Education Required: 2 year technical degree in applied science and ASNT Level 3 Certification
Experience Required: Minimum of 3 years’ experience in a NDT laboratory environment as well as applicable lab work to methods and procedures related to aerospace and Government standards
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED AND/OR PREFERRED
The knowledge, skills and abilities required and/or preferred for this position are listed below. This list is not all inclusive and may be amended by Client, from time to time.
- Membership to ASM, ASTM, ASNT or other societies related to aerospace NDT studies are a plus
- Any applicable certifications will be a plus to this position. Membership to SME or other societies related to aerospace NDT or metallurgical studies are also a plus.
- Knowledge in metallurgical testing also an asset
- Experience in the Aerospace industry is a plus
- General understanding and working knowledge of transmission drive systems, special processes, and related systems is also a plus
- Knowledge of any other industry compliance standards a plus
- Must possess proven capability and initiative to function in a high technology environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong work ethic
- Attention to detail
MINIMUM PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
The physical requirements of this position are listed below. This list is not all inclusive and may be amended by Client, from time to time. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties of the position.
- Frequent sitting, standing, walking, talking, hearing, seeing, writing and typing
- Occasional lifting of up to 40 pounds
- Occasional reaching, climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, pushing, pulling, fingering, grasping, feeling, twisting, bending and repetitive motion
- Frequent exposure to moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles
- Frequent exposure to moderate to heavy noise
- The ability to wear proper personal protective equipment, including earplugs, safety glasses, safety shoes, etc.
- This position requires some travel