Job Title: Sr. Manager of Network Engineering – Automation
Positions – 1
Max Salary – $177K
Our client is building a next-gen 5G network to disrupt the wireless industry and fuel innovation in transportation, health care, education, sustainability, city management, and agriculture.
We’re driven by curiosity, pride, adventure, and a desire to win – and we’re looking for people with boundless energy, intelligence, and an overwhelming need to achieve. Join us as we embark on our greatest adventure of all.
Our client is seeking a Senior Manager of Network Engineering over network automation design with secondary advanced knowledge in data center, xHaul, and network security. This manager will oversee the planning, architecture, and design of automation for network routers, switches, and security devices, across the nationwide environment supporting the buildout of our new 5G wireless infrastructure.
The Network Engineering Manager will be responsible for managing a team accountable for automation architecture and design of network devices in a large-scale service provider network. Network automation architecture and design will include the processes, scripts and other mechanisms used to manage network devices in an orchestrated, automated, zero-touch fashion including integration with higher-level end-to-end automation tools.
This team will have a close cross-functional relationship with Data Center Network Engineering, Network xHaul, Network Security, Data Mobility Engineering, Core Translations Design, Traffic/Transport Engineering, Network Implementation/Design, Performance Management and Peering Interconnect Management teams. This role is a key, strategic part of our business, and presents an opportunity to implement and optimize the latest networking solutions. This role reports to the Head of Network Engineering of the company and may require some travel.
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manage Network Design/Implementation team and provide consistent leadership through the hiring, planning, communicating, and managing of the team
- Create and maintain network architecture
- Design and develop network node configurations
- Support validation, deployment, optimization and operations of network nodes
- Manage capital budget, commercial contracts, hardware/software purchase orders
- Testing and validation of new IP services, feature enhancements and software bug fixes
- Establish, validate and maintain direct interconnects with other mobile carriers for interoperability
- Develop and maintain 2 to 3-year strategic infrastructure plan including long-term vision, technology roadmaps, goals and objectives
- Develop and oversee change management and quality assurance processes including review and approval of engineering design proposals, implementation plans, and acceptance plans
A successful candidate will be able to:
- Provide advanced technical leadership for complex project work, including functional subsystem upgrades for mission-critical network devices and services as well as strategic upgrades to the network
- Design, plan, and implement network security systems at nationwide scale
- Supply advanced technical direction and leadership to the organization through the planning and implementation processes
- Establish requirements, provide analysis of network security risks and requirements, network design, network partitioning or segmentation, and network architecture definition
- Provide advanced expertise in the development of network test, validation, and integration plans on projects, and assurance of network integrity
- Work independently with vendors to understand, test, and drive new innovative features
Candidate should have extensive knowledge in the following areas:
- IP routing across a multi-site, hierarchical architecture
- MPLS and/or Segment Routing (SR-MPLS, SRv6)
- eBGP, iBGP, IS-IS, VRFs, and QoS
- Integration with public cloud providers (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Architecture, design, and engineering of automation for zero-touch-provisioning (ZTP), configuration management, and operating software management
- Network configuration scripting with Perl/Python/Bash/Ansible/other
- Design and Implementation of automation tools
- Configuration hardening of network and peripheral devices
- IPv6 – SLAAC and DHCPv6
- Server virtualization – VMWare, Openstack
- Solid Understanding of the OSI model, routing and switching protocols, network security, IPv4 and IPv6 networking, subnetting, and operational experience
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical/Computer Engineering preferred, or ten or more years of professional experience in large enterprise or carrier space
- Professional networking certifications a plus- CCNA/CCNP/CCIE/JNCIE or equivalent