Job Title: System Administrator I
Max Salary: 76K
The Mac System Administrator is responsible for maintaining Enterprise-wide device policies and OS software for all Apple desktop and laptop configurations in our environment. We enable end user Mac configurations for use in various corporate/work from home locations nationwide and internationally. This position plays a critical role in the overall end-to-end device management lifecycle.
Primary responsibilities include the following:
- Responsible for the management and administration of all Apple hardware, including: building software packages/scripts, testing software or hardware for quality assurance, deploying change requests, solving production user/system issues and supporting other IT Departments or new use cases.
- Authors tools to automate tasks such as device staging, app distribution, capturing device info, troubleshooting and other UEM (Unified Endpoint Management) activities.
- Defines problem areas on various teams, departments, or enterprise levels and recommends changes needed to increase productivity and efficiency through hardware and software assessments.
- Proactively monitor, maintain, and tune systems (through automation where possible) in an effort to provide maximum uptime
- Works closely with 3rd party software/hardware vendors to improve their products, fix bugs and add features for business partners.
- Manages Change Requests to secure approval for new apps, app updates, networking/security policies, monthly patching, etc.
- Provides training, mentoring, and documentation to all support departments throughout the enterprise on Apple systems best practices and functionality; serves as top tier escalation POC for all environmental or end user related issues.
- Analyze current processes and procedures in order to maintain them or make recommendations to promote effective operations within and between departments; assist in defining, improving, and documenting those processes.
- Creation of both written and verbal communication that includes: e-mail, procedural documents, processes, reports and presentations to a variety of audiences.
A successful Mac System Administrator will have the following:
- Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university in technical/scientific discipline.
- 2+ years experience as an Apple system administrator in an enterprise environment and seen as the go-to expert in an area of specialization with an increasingly strategic mindset.
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and project management skills.
- Expert-level knowledge of Apple macOS software, hardware and MDM tools, including: JAMF, Munki, Workspace One/Airwatch, Apple Business Manager
- Working knowledge of scripting languages, network protocols and security policies, including: Bash/Python, XSAN, AD, SCEP, EAP/TLS, Cisco ISE, proxy software, certificate authority, SSO/identity providers, FileVault
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including presentation and interpersonal skills; with emphasis on a strong customer service focused personality.
- Ability to effectively respond to and interact with all levels of organizational staff within the IT department and across the organization.
- Displays strong initiative for anticipating and meeting business demands, an ability to thrive in a fast-paced and uncertain environment, a high level of intellectual curiosity, and a focus on generating results.
- Self-motivated and the ability to work with autonomy; desire to seek the source of a problem and the capability to ask the questions necessary to identify the root cause.
- Ability to create and maintain process various documentation/procedures for internal team, support team, end users, and executive leadership.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business/technical forums, industry news, and technical procedures.
- Ability to work individually and in a team environment.
- Ability to prioritize, organize, meet deadlines and target completion dates.